Thursday, February 27, 2014

that time I grew a baby

Almost a year ago I found out I was pregnant.
Aside from giving birth and getting engaged to my best friend, the day I found out I was going to be a Mom pretty much takes the cake.
Unfortunately, pregnancy made me extremely lazy.
I didn't really have much motivation to do anything except maybe go for walks and watch way too much netflix. 
I didn't take weekly bump photos until the end,
or write sweet letters to my unborn baby boy,
I do, however, have some memories stored away that were not forever lost to "mommy brain" (it's a real thing, I swear).

So, here's my recap ---

1st Trimester

I got really lucky and had a super easy first trimester.
No horrible morning sickness or food aversions.
The one thing that sticks out in my mind was insomnia.  Looking back, I think it may have been my first real symptom that I was even pregnant.  It was impossible to get to sleep at night.
I also experienced some nausea in the morning and afternoon, fatigue and headaches, but I really had nothing to complain about.  I often worried that something was wrong with my baby because it just didn't seem right to feel so good and grow a small person at the same time.
I may have felt ok physically, but mentally I was a wreck.
I lived each and every day scared out of my mind that the whole thing was just a dream.  I have never obsessed over something quite like I did about making it through the first trimester.
Note to future mommies out there- do not go on Google while pregnant and hormonal -you can thank me for this little piece of advice later (your husbands can too).

Aaron and I decided we were going to try for a natural birth at a birthing center rather than deliver at a hospital.  I still have no regrets about trying this route, although I'm not sure if i'll take that route for baby #2.



2nd Trimester

The 2nd trimester didn't feel much different from the first.
I was most excited to finally see that I was getting a little baby bump and started to feel the little guy kick at 19 weeks!
I had headaches, wanted chicken ALL THE TIME, and spent about half my day either walking to the bathroom or peeing.

The one thing that stands out about this trimester were my hormones. 
For a few weeks I lost control of any and all emotional balance.  
One minute I was crying, the next I was laughing, and then before I knew it I wanted to rip off Aaron's head.
There was about a week of deep sadness and depression for no reason- it was miserable especially considering how much I had to be thankful for.




3rd Trimester ---

The 3rd trimester hit me hard.  It was not nearly as kind as the first and second trimesters.  I guess I deserved it.  Apparently I needed to pay my baby making dues.
The heartburn and indigestion were like nothing I had ever experienced.  I had heard this was a common 3rd trimester symptom, but I never really realized how bad it could get.  And it was with me from week 28 until the moment (literally) he was born.  Every day.  All day long.
I also had unbearable hip pain which made sleeping on my side torture.  I tried everything- heat, pregnancy pillow, massage, etc. but, nothing helped. I would often think to myself during the million nightly trips to the potty that this must be a preview to old age.
I had back pain, headaches, and sciatic nerve pain.
I also developed PUPP (aka pregnancy rash).  The last 6 weeks I was pregnant I became extremely sensitive to hot weather and hot water.  Exposure to either would send me itching my skin off the rest of the day (and keep me up at night).  I know, you're thinking- how did you shower?  I took one full body shower a week.  The rest of the days I would wash the most important areas with a bucket of warm water.  Let's just say my one shower was the highlight of me week.
Overall, I felt like crap.
By the end of the third trimester I couldn't wait to meet my little man!










Despite the discomfort that inevitably comes with pregnancy, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.  I am so thankful to have had the experience of watching my body change to accommodate my growing baby and this little person move (and get stronger!) with each passing day.  
Pregnancy was incredible.
At least, that's what i'm thinking now- I can recall several occasions breaking down to Aaron about how uncomfortable I was.
I would just repeat that this baby needed to come out right now.
Incredible how fast you forget these things (and how I already find myself missing pregnancy).

Congratulations to anyone that read this entire post.
I needed to get it up mostly for my sake since I've already forgotten so much.
Pin It!

3 comments:

RadiantKristen said...

You were an absolutely gorgeous pregnant woman! And I could see why you would do it all again - your pictures of your sweet son are adorable.

Unpublished Life said...

Oh wow! Congratulations on the birth of your little guy, and thanks for sharing your baby bump pics and experiences! You looked gorgeous and carried beautifully - even if you felt like crap!

I hope you are enjoying your new role as mama!

cynthia said...

I literally have zero bump pics. I was too tired/lazy at first. Plus I really wasn't showing much until about 25+ weeks. And my son arrived unexpectedly at 31 weeks. He was tiny, and I only gained 14 pounds! I kind of regret it now, I could have at least taken one! But...hindsight is 20/20 I guess. :P
Nice post, I need to get some of my memories written down, too!