Friday, August 31, 2012

a rant everyone should read

My apologies, 
but, this post had to be done.
I can't sit back and keep quiet any longer,
and while the truth may be a little upsetting,
knowledge=power

you may be wondering what i'm babbling about, 
so i'll just get to it.

sharks.
actually, not just sharks-
all sea life.
and the shocking truth that the oceans are literally disappearing,
and, at this very moment, being emptied of all that lives.
I've had very strong feelings about this topic for a while now,
but, the other day, while checking out a local asian market,
I came across these:


SHARK FIN SOUP
wtf!?!
the fiance and I could not leave the market fast enough.
and still, days later, I am MAD.

Here are some facts:

-More than 100 million sharks are killed each year for their fins, and ONLY their fins.  Fishermen slice off theirs fins, and throw them back in the water still alive, to die.  Death can take hours, or even days (via)
-"Bluefin tuna is at the brink of extinction with a population which makes their recovery practically irreversible..." (via)
- "As the biggest predators diminish, the population of smaller fish such as sardines, pollack, mackerel, squid and anchovies escalates, that is, the food which the larger fish have always lived off.  Currently, tones of these small fish are being captured and supplied to fish farms and about 7 out of the 10 biggest fisheries of the world, are barely leaving 20% of these species as food for their predators." (via)
- "Excessive fishing has caused a 90% decline in shark populations across the world's oceans and up to 99% along the US east coast, which are some of the best-managed waters in the world..." (via)

via

- "The annual total global catch of fish (124 millions metric tons) is equal in weight to 378 Empire State Buildings." (via)
-  "The Organisation for the Food and Agriculture of the United Nations, FAO, pointed out that 25 percent of the world captured fish (around 29 million tonnes) end up thrown overboard and its usually those caught unintentionally, illegal market species, those with inferior quality or under the permitted size.  95 percent of the fish caught unintentionally are thrown away amongst which include endangered species and those which are over exploited." (via)

via

HOW ARE FISH CAUGHT?

Bottom Trawling:

via


Long-line fishing:

"Longlines are the most significant factor in the rapid diminishment of shark populations in the oceans. Longlines ranging in length from one mile to over one hundred miles are baited with fish (often illegally killed dolphins or seals), and are meant to target shark, swordfish, and tuna. The sharks targeted are caught mostly for their fins (which account for only 4% of their body weight) and also for their cartilage, liver oil and teeth."

via

I could go on-and-on about this subject.
the corruption,
the lies,
the consequence to our seas.
but, i'm going to stop.
Hopefully, if you didn't know about this before,
you know a little bit now.

Next time you go to eat your tuna sandwich,
that prized piece of swordfish,
or, my favorite, sushi-
ask yourself if it is worth it.
The truth is that if we don't do something now,
our children will grow up with empty oceans.
no sharks, 
no turtles,
no whales,
no fish.

However, if you need fish in your diet,
make sure you get it from a trusted, sustainable, retailer.
ask questions.
do some research.
stop being selfish.
yes I said it, SELFISH.


via

If you want more information,
google it.
or, watch these documentaries:

End of the Line (here)- this documentary changed my life.
Sharkwater (here)
The Cove (here)
Pirate for the Sea (here)

Sometimes, I hate being human.
after all, we are the most selfish species out there.
we are destroying the most precious gift we have- the ocean.


excellent article: here

Pin It!

16 comments:

Megan said...

gordon ramsey did a special on this situation actually...it was very interesting. and super sad :(

Katrin said...

Thank you so much for this post. I think a lot of people are not aware of this. And I think everybody should watch the documentaries you've mentioned. It is terrible that things like happen and lots of people doesn't even care.

kelsie fennell said...

Well goodness that just broke my heart. I wish there was something I could do to help. Kudos to you for putting this out there.

Mimi said...

ohmygosh, i had no idea! this is so horrible! :/

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Alyx said...

Wow, this is totally awful! I had no idea this was even happening.

Julie said...

Woah girl, I love your passion for this subject! I didn't know any of these facts, and it's so so sad. I don't eat any seafood of any kind (because I don't like the taste), but now I have much more reason not to. Thanks for the post!

Sarah and Stewart said...

Good for you for bringing this to people's attention!

Sweet Green Tangerine said...

It breaks my heart to think of the mistreatment of all the creatures that humans eat in EXCESS. I recently gave up meat (slowly working my way to all animal products) and my main reason was because it makes me sick to see the mass amounts of animal products humans eat every day. It's unnatural. I never knew this about the shark fins, but that is just terrible.

Alex said...

This is so sad. I got completely up in arms over a show I saw during shark week. It's sick how many sharks are needlessly killed.

Ash Louise said...

I couldn't read this post. I knew if I did I would start crying my eyes out. It makes me sooo sick how people treat animals sometimes. I'm not against people eating meat, but I hate the inhuman treatment of animals. I've seen how people just leave the sharks to die. Just saying it makes me want to cry.
So obviously this is a subject I'm really touchy on too. I'm happy for you though that you have a husband who feels the same way as you (I want that too!) I hope that you will find a way to fight this :) I love hearing that people hate this kind of stuff too. I want to make a stand against these things but I just don't know what.
But I'm so glad you feel this way dear. And I think its sick too!

Leta B said...

You might like to check out 'the tuna guide' from green peace. This is the Canadian guide.. but there are listing for other countries as well.
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/campaigns/ocean/Tuna/Get-involved/canned-tuna-guide/

Christi Lynn said...

this is so sad! what a great post though...helping people be aware.

parfums said...

so nice blog i love it .
Parfum pas cher

Lexie and Brayden said...

oh man this makes me so sad... i hate hearing about this kind of stuff. i always check the tuna labels before i buy them. great post! more people definatly need to know about this stuff or atleast be aware! thank you!!

Lexie
mrmrsward.blogspot.com

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Wow! This is shocking! It saddens me to think we are just allowing this to happen! Thanks for sharing. You are right, knowledge = power.

Cassie said...

this is very sad and disappointing. i can't believe they slice the fins and leave them to die. thanks for shedding some light on this issue. xx