Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Welcome to Nepal.


There are many words to describe Kathmandu, Nepal.

deafening. suffocating. beautiful. shocking.
alluring. foul. overwhelming. powerful.

However, I like to describe Nepal (particularly Thamel) as,
beautifully chaotic.

No matter what word comes to my mind,
Nepal shook me to my core,
and, has left me a changed person.

More than anything, and most ironically, Nepal has left me wanting more.

Kathmandu:
people, cars, bikes, cows, sewage, motorcycles, dogs, trash, and more trash...

The moment you enter kathmandu,
you step foot into a different world.
Every sense,
sight. smell. taste. touch. hearing.
are all turned on.

It doesn't matter how hard you fight it,
there is no escaping the maddness that makes Kathmandu so unlike any other place I have ever visited.
















Nepal was the first real third world country I had ever visited.
It is world so different from the sanitary, bright and shiny bubble I have been lucky enough to call home-
a home I will never take for granted again...

Here starts my journey through Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia,
with my travel buddy,
my fiance.
Without this man, I never would have seen this part of the world.

I never would have known such beautiful chaos exists...


Pin It!

18 comments:

Jamie said...

Kathmandu is one of my favorite cities on earth. I have so many good memories of my trips there. Enjoy every moment! If you are still there drop in to the Courtyard Hotel and tell Michelle and Pujan hello for me and get them to tell you where to set up a dinner at Thamel house for you - amazing!

Amy G. said...

Your pictures are amazing and beautiful. I've never experienced anything like Nepal. You're so lucky to be able to have such a great adventure with so many memories. I can't imagine what an eye opening experience it must have been!

Melissa said...

Ah! This is the series that I have been waiting for! Everything looks awesome so far.

Megan C. Stroup said...

As usual, these pictures are so great! I definitely have Nepal on my to-visit list.

Alex said...

What a fascinating place. I have been to Lhasa, Tibet...I wonder if it's very similar?

Tiffany said...

Beautiful pictures! You have really captured the city. Hope you have a great trip!

Tiffany said...

Beautiful pictures! You have really captured the city. Hope you have a great trip!

Erica [pocket full of chuckles] said...

wow, what amazing pictures. I can't wait to read about the rest of your adventure with lovah boy. Especially Thailand and Indonesia. I would love to go there one day

Alex Butts said...

seriously a different world - i HAVE to go

Jenna said...

Your pictures make Nepal look amazing! It has seriously been number one on my list of places to travel for a couple of years now - it's my dream to climb to base camp!

xxx
Jenna

kimberly rae said...

Amazing! Can't wait to read more!!

Rebecca said...

Looks so different than usa but beautiful and unique =]

The Adventurer said...

I just love this so much! I am always in awe of your photos, and these are just. so. interesting.

Get on out there, friend, and see it all!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Dont think I've seen pictures like this before although I know places like this exist. Great images but sad truth.

Dorothy Explor'r said...

WOW :) oh-mazing, indeed!

dorothy
theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com

Megan said...

im just dying to see nepal someday! im hoping to head to india this summer at some point (if plans dont fall through) and realllllly hoping to sneak up to nepal for a while ;)

ginanorma said...

Well enjoy!!!!! wow what a culture shock, huh?! Thanks for sharing all of this with us, we are so lucky!!!

Rachel said...

It is great to see your pictures! - I had a brief trip to Nepal in November - the whole time spent in Kathmandu. I got the same feeling of i-will-never-take-home-for-granted-again! It is such a crazy place!!