Thursday, April 26, 2012

things kids teach you, part I

I am not a mom yet.
however, since moving to Germany, I now take care of two lovely children every day.
J is eleven.
A is eight.

for the past 18 months, I have been pretty baby crazy.
it's like I woke up one morning, and decided, 
hey! it's time to make a baby. i am ready.

well, it's 18 months later.
and I still have not produced said baby.
my yearning to get pregnant right now has faded a bit,
and i'm learning that life does not always need to be so rushed.
I am 25.
I have plenty of time-
even if my facebook says otherwise.

the fiance is working his booty off,
so that hopefully, one day, we can live a comfortable life-
although I do realize that money does not equal happiness.
In the mean time, i'm looking after two beautiful children,
in a different country,
and, since i'm being honest,
doing lots of other "mom" work- laundry, cooking, dishes, etc.
On my time off, I travel.travel.travel.

The past few years, traveling has become an obsession, 
a passion.
I don't think I will ever see enough until i've seen it all.
this in no way means I don't appreciate all the opportunities I have had-
I do.
but, traveling is on of those things that completes me,
traveling has helped me learn who I am.
and, i never want to stop learning.

so, before I make a baby, 
I decided I needed to travel and learn as much as possible.
hence, germany.

since I am in Germany helping these two amazing little people grow up,
I thought I would share with all of you some things they teach me-
about life,
about being a mom, 
about simply growing up.

so, here we go...
in the time I have been here, 
I have learned one key thing about raising children-

they lie.
all while maintaining a sweet smile on their face.

I don't know why this surprises me.
after all, i'm pretty sure I was a serial-liar growing up.
although, I doubt I did it with a smile on my face...



Hope all of you have a great day!

Pin It!

11 comments:

Kristin W said...

I have no real desire to have kids right now (although the idea of being a stay-at-home mom allures me more than it ever has before) after working with them on a daily basis.

I definitely enjoy watching them learn and mature. They really can be so amazing!

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

This was too cute ! And yes, they do lie, and sometimes they are really good at it !

Tiffany said...

Hahaha! As a third grade teacher I can affirm this as true -- they can be pretty cute when they lie. I must try hard to not smile when scolding sometimes.

Love the watercolor picture on the bottom!

Leah said...

I was SUCH a liar growing up! I lied about big things and little things. It started as far back as I can remember and I just don't know why! Why is that? I feel better now after reading this post.

Miki @ Becoming What I Always Was said...

I'm terrified of children. I think what scares me the most is their whole life is dependent on you as a parent. I have way too many fears to be baby hungry yet.. Ha ha. It sounds like Germany and these kids are a great experience. I love traveling as well, and need to find more outlets to do so!

Andrea @ Love is... said...

So true. They lie even worse when they're in a group! I'm an aunt to 4, so I'm learning quick how to see through the lies!

Tina said...

Oh, I hear you on the babyfever! Like sometimes I swear my ovaries physically hurt when I see newborns. ;) We definitely want to travel some more first too though!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Lol...this was such a great honest post...kids are great and not so great:-)

Alex Butts said...

Pahaha I have so many moments like this. Carolin have you done your homework? I don't have any. Oh really, so if I see you and your mom doing your homework later I can tell her you told me you didn't have any? *Blank stare* Yeah - do your homework.

Dorothy Explor'r said...

UHHH'm. since when and HOW did you find yourself in germany!? WHAAA!?

lols. i've been gone for several weeks and POOF! so many changes!!! :o

lmk.

eheh.

dorothy
theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com

Jussie De Guida said...

Isn't it amazing the things we can learn from kids? I am so glad you're having a wonderful time in Germany. PS I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!