Wednesday, March 7, 2012

If I had a million dollars...

I hate to say it, but these days, a million dollars isn't much.
Especially if you live some place like California.

So, I would have to spend this million wisely...


1. Put at least $250,000 in savings.

One of the many things the fiance has taught me,
is that saving money is important.
So important.
He has even made saving money a fun little game.
Now, i'm obsessed.
The more I save, the more I win.

via

2. Buy a house-
in the location I live, this would cost no more than $400,000.

Thankfully I live in an area where I get some bang for my buck.
400K would get the fiance and I a very nice house on a great piece of land.

Must haves?
4 bedrooms,
mudroom,
Huge eat-in kitchen
minimum of 2 acres
craft room/office
chicken coop

via

3. Furnish new house-
Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware
100K
via


4. Travel.
Tanzania, Mongolia, Peru, Argentina, Palau, Patagonia, Jordan, etc.
with the fiance, of course.

Part of my travel would include taking my dad and brother on a little vacation out of the country,
since neither have ever left the US.
And everyone, if you ask me, needs to leave the US at least once in their life.

My sister, mom and I would go somewhere warm,
or Paris. We could do some damage in Paris.

75K

via


5. Pay off all my student loans.
Actually, this would probably be the very FIRST thing I do.
Student loans are a pain in the ass- literally.

60K
via


6. Pay for my brother's college tuition
(of course, certain terms and restrictions would apply- like grades and attendance).
30K


7. Buy a car.
Actually, buy a station wagon.
Yes, I want a station wagon.
Why?
because one day, I will be that obnoxious mother with 3 kids and too many drooling dogs.
And, I hate SUV's.

50K
(honestly, I have no idea how much this car costs)
via

8. Purchase some new clothes- nothing crazy.
I would never drop a grand on a purse.
I just couldn't do it.
Ok, maybe if I was given 2 million dollars.
10K

9. Have my dream wedding.
25K max.
because anything more than 25K for one night is just wrong-
no offense.
via

10. Leftover goes into savings.
If there is any, and I doubt there would be.


This is my fantasy list.
If it were real life, more money would go into savings and less would go towards clothes/travel.
But, this is my list,
and I can dream...

What would you spend your million on?

One last thing-
can I just say that it boggles my mind that there are people out there with hundreds of millions of dollars.
I mean, really.
I wonder what life would be life without any money concerns?

I say,
via
Obviously, this does not apply to ALL super well-off people out there.
But, I firmly believe money is not the main source of happiness.
Happiness comes from inside.

Unfortunately, this is so easy to forget.
Pin It!

23 comments:

marie said...

That is a gorgeous home, I love it's charm. Paying for an education is money well spent. I would pay off our home, tithe to our church and this summer we would all spend it renting a home on the beach somewhere in South America so the girls could practice their Spanish.

Alyx said...

Man, the things I could do with a million dollars. Actually, I really only care about paying off my education. I mean, really. Thousands of dollars for school is not cool! I always tell my students that I have $20,000 in student loans and they think I'm lying!

Elisha(: said...

You can go in the Indiana jones place!?!?!?

Amira said...

oooo, this was such a fun post! I always love dreaming of things I would do if I won the lotto :-)

Lauren said...

Fun post lady! Gorgeous picture of the house :)
And I want to hear about this money saving game! My husband is great at saving money but me...not so much :S
have a great Wednesday!!
Lauren

Kelly said...

Fun post!! It definitely got me thinking too ;-) My list would be a lot like yours. And I love that last quote-- makes you really THINK.

Brooke @ Covered in Grace said...

One of my favorite Pinterest posts EVER! This is fantastic!
I think I'll have to use the million dollar question as my Pinterest post inspiration later on. Good stuff.
And I think you've got some good ideas... I agree with the chicken coop 100%. =)

Ana said...

When the husband and I were looking at houses, we thought about moving to Sac (since he's from there)... The difference between the houses we can buy here in the bay for the house we'd buy with the same money there is RIDICULOUS! I think we would definitely be there if there were more jobs!

Corey @ Learning Patience said...

i play this game all the time...I would save, travel and spend on family. :-)

xoxo from Trinidad

Sally said...

I hear you friend!! I want to travel more. There is a great coach service here in Europe - Eurolines - that gives cheap travel. I can get a return ticket to Paris for 50euros!! Yeah it takes 7.5hours each way - but totally a steal!! I am headed there for Spring Break to meet up with USA friends. Can not wait!! I also just booked a trip to Berlin - so excited!!

Jenna said...

My list would look shockingly similar to yours funny enough! Definitely would get a house, definitely a car, definitely lots of travelling, definitely some for saving, and definitely would pay off the brother's tuition.

Wow... it's nice to dream isn't it!?

.... One day :)

xxx
Jenna

Johanna said...

My friend just booked a trip to Petra. Would definitely be amazing.

Susan said...

So we have already established that we have traveling in common... but for real!! We should probably be best friends in real life. Because I too, if I had a million dollars, would do almost everything on your list. Chicken coop included!! Although I probably wouldn't put your brother through college - maybe my sister though!

Erica [pocket full of chuckles] said...

I would love to buy a home and furnish it, a nice car, and then TRAVEL! EVERYWHERE! :)

alex butts said...

Mo money mo problems.

Although I wouldn't mind knowing this first hand. Whatever.

Love the list and your precious house. Can I come visit? Cool. Ok maybe that's creepy, we should probably meet in Germany first.

Stevie said...

Hello I'm a new follower (http://simply-stevie.blogspot.com/)and your list is so lovely. It's nice to hear your million dollars would be money well spent rather then spending it all on clothes and material things. your blogs so nice love all your pictures!

Rissy said...

did anyone do the math here? that seems like a lot for a cool million so uhh sign me up! the house you would buy is bomb.com by the way.

p.s. random fact: when my parents met my dad drove a station wagon. He was a single man with no children... confuses me to this day haha

Lauren said...

Hi there. Thank you for stopping by The Scarlett Letters. I love the last quote on this page. It's true, money is important but means nothing in this life.
Stop by my other blog sometime....
www.laurenrebecca.com

Now following you :)

Lauren

Crissy B. said...

I feel ya on the student loans! I'm halfway done paying mine off, and can not WAIT FOR THE DAY when they are no more. I'm so happy you found my blog! Enjoying yours too and happy to be a new follower!

Leah said...

What a fun topic, this was clever, and I love your ideas!! I also love your comment on how everyone should travel out of the US at least once in their life- I couldn't agree more!! :)

BmoreLoveLeigh said...

Okay, now you have my mentally putting together my list of what I would do. My husband and I like to play this game too.

A shopping spree in Paris sounds pretty amazing to me!

Berni said...

Bailey! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog because now I have found yours! Definitely following right now!

I just read your "about me" and can I just say - a BS in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology. Whaaaaaaaat! You must be so smart! I'm the worst science-y person!

Oh and I'm with you on number seven! I too will be that obnoxious mother with 3 kids and too many drooling dogs!

Jen@ADropintheBucket said...

Totally with you on the station wagon. I have (sort of) one right now, and it is just as good as an SUV with kids.