Thursday, February 16, 2012

Snow Day.

On Valentine's day, the fiance and I went to Tahoe to do some snowboarding.
I've been snowboarding a grand total of 2 times before this trip-
the first time about ten years ago and the second time a little over two years ago.

I have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to this sport.
And, it scares the shit out of me.

The day started at 4:30am.
I was woken with the worst cramps of my life.
It felt like my uterus was going to fall out of my butt.

I had an hour before the alarm would go off.
So, I swallowed two Aleve, got into fetal position with the heating pad and silently hoped this monthly curse would just leave me alone.

It didn't.

The alarm rang,
the fiance jumped out of bed, 
and I lay there trying to figure out how I was going to make this work.

I really did not want to go.
I wanted to stay home.
Especially since the fiance has never been able to wrap his head around how painful my monthly visitor can be sometimes.

After some tears (I cry when I can't make a decision),
 I got up.
Put on some clothes.
And decided to go and keep him company- even if that meant finishing The Hunger Games in the lodge while he was snowboarding.

And that was exactly what I did until lunch time.
We ate avocado, cheese, and sprout sandwiches (my new obsession).
I decided I would get out of the slopes and do it.

Our first run went well.
Aside from falling EVERY single time I get off the ski lift, I had no complaints.

The second run landed me here...



As you can see, I was smiling.
The views were incredible.
This wasn't so bad...

Things changed fast.

Basically, this run killed me.
It drained all confidence and energy from my body in about 2 minutes.
I was done.

Not to mention-
I was a little horrified at how RUDE and MEAN so many skiers and snowboarders were.
Clearly, I am a beginner and have little knowledge of this sport, but I was out there trying.

Those more experienced,
and clearly a little impatient and selfish,
had only nasty things to say to me.

Not to my face, 
but as they passed.
Often their hurtful words were muttered to their friends loud enough for me to hear.

This is the only sport I've ever experienced such hate.
I was pissed.
And, I still am.


So, I told the fiance I was done. And, I was pissed.
We got down to the bottom of the mountain, and I just wanted to go home.

The fiance ordered a beer and got me a glass of wine.
(drinking while doing this sport still confuses me a little)

He suggested we do one more run.
I gave in.
After all, I did pay $39 to rent gear.

He promised it wouldn't be hard.
That it would be soft and powdery.

Friends, only half  of this statement was true...



I don't know what this course was.
It was powdery- so powdery the snow came up to my thighs.

But easy? HA!
Lies. all lies.

He took me down hell.
And I was not happy.

I fell so much I couldn't get up anymore.
My wrists felt broken (I KNOW. I'm not suppose to fall on my hands, but I do)
I think I fractured my tail-bone.
And I tweaked my back.

This was not how I remembered this sport.

He still refuses to accept that this course was not something a beginner should attempt.
He's a stubborn man.
It may have been powdery, but it was nearly impossible.

He is lucky, though.
I LOVE THE SNOW.  I REALLY  love the snow.
And no matter how sad or angry I may be, put me in snow and I will be a happy girl.

So, my tears quickly turned to laughter as I sat waist deep in the snow.

I walked the rest of the way down.
And I may never snowboard again.

BUT, I still love the snow,
and that is all that really matters.
Pin It!

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

I haven't been snowboarding in awhile, but the last time I went I was so miserable and fell so many times that I didn't want to go again for a long time. : ) But I'm with you...I love the snow. LOVE IT. I am always ALWAYS happy in the snow!

Leah said...

I was in Tahoe over Valentine's Day too! It is absolutely beautiful there. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with other skiers and snowboarders being mean and rude to you! Snowboarding and falling in deep powder is really hard, as you found out. It frustrates me to tears sometimes too.

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Lol! I hope you're feeling better soon! I hear snowboarding can be painful! My husband actually broke his foot doing it!
At least it was a beautiful day!! I love Tahoe!

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

I didn't know there was so much snow up there right now. Beautiful pics. Honey, you're braver than I to get out there as a beginning snowboard....with cramps no less. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Liz Brown said...

I have tried snowboarding exactly once. It has a steeeeep learning curve to it. Skiing is more fun :)

Ameryn Marie said...

I've only been a few times too, and this was pretty much my experience also. I will however go back. I'm going to keep falling down the mountain until I get the hang of it! ;)

Ophelia said...

I have had some AWFUL boarding experiences everything from gnarly blizzards to skiers cutting me off and whipping out big time! I even thought about giving up completely because i would be in so much pain and pissed off, but i haven't...yet. I hope next time, if there is a next time, you have a better experience :)

Kara said...

I feel you on this. I'm not very experienced either, but my Husband loves to go. The last time I went, I gave myself a near-concussion by falling backwards and landing on my head (I was stupid enough to go helmet-less). It hadn't snowed in weeks and what was there was all hard-packed. It hurt so bad! I walked the rest of the way down and was yelled at by so many boarders and skiers that were on their way down. It was terrible.

I probably will never snowboard again. I might go with the Hubby, but I think I'll try skiing next time!

Emily Hope said...

Great recap - and good for you for trying with uterus pains as bad as falling out your butt. To be honest I don't know if I ever thought of the pain that way. I am going to pay closer attention next time.

marie said...

Oh my gosh you poor thing, that does not sound fun at all. I love the snow but do not like staying in it for more than a minute. Hope you're all better.

Niina - It seems pretty obvious. said...

I love the first two pictures! I want to go skiing now! Do you like skiing then? It's so much easier than snowboarding. But you still get pissed sometimes! Like when your boyfriend take you to a "easy" slope, and it's like a "near death" experience! ;)

Renee said...

Oh I so hate that you had such a terrible experience with this!! I love snow skiing and don't get to do it often enough!

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy said...

Beautiful pictures! I have never been snowboarding before and not sure if I would be good at it! Maybe I will have to try skiing again!

Erica [pocket full of chuckles] said...

I haven't been snowboarding in about 9 years - wow! - but i love to pretend i know how to ski haha

Alex Butts said...

I felt the exact same when I got back on skis in January. It has been too long and I was so frustrated, but at least always nice to appreciate the beauty in the snow and mountains that makes it less frustrating.

Courtney B said...

Oh I'm so sorry! That is ridiculous that other skiers/snowboarders were rude. They were all beginners at one point in their lives :(
Don't give up. Snowboarding sucks the first few times you try... but it DOES get better! My hubs fought me hard the first time I wanted to go together because he "sucked" and he "hated it" but now he loves it more than I do.

Rachel said...

Ha, the second time I ever snowboarded I feel Every. Single. Time. I tried to stand up. I literally slid down the rest of the mountain on my butt, threw a temper tantrum, and gave myself a time-out while the hubby went on a few runs. Snowboarding is sooo frustrating to me. I hate not being good at things, and the rudeness from the other boarders just make it worse. I've just learned to stick to the bunny hills, go at my own pace, and Eff everyone else! And buy some wristguards!

ninest123 said...

hollister, moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, links of london, louis vuitton, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, doudoune canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, karen millen, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg boots uk, thomas sabo, wedding dresses, canada goose uk, bottes ugg, coach outlet, replica watches, pandora charms, supra shoes, louis vuitton

ninest123 said...

michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, nike free run uk, michael kors, hollister pas cher, lacoste pas cher, ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet, north face, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch, north face, hogan, burberry outlet online, nike roshe, air force, michael kors, lululemon, ugg boots, vanessa bruno, michael kors, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, michael kors outlet, sac guess, coach outlet, ray ban uk, hollister, replica handbags, tn pas cher, hermes, nike air max, oakley pas cher, mulberry, true religion jeans, timberland, ugg boots, nike air max, burberry, true religion jeans, nike air max, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet

ninest123 said...

new balance, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, reebok shoes, babyliss, vans, asics running shoes, nike roshe, hollister, nike trainers, lancel, timberland boots, hollister, wedding dresses, nfl jerseys, gucci, p90x workout, valentino shoes, louboutin, instyler, jimmy choo shoes, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch, converse outlet, beats by dre, soccer shoes, vans shoes, baseball bats, oakley, mont blanc, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huarache, longchamp, hollister, iphone cases, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, insanity workout, north face outlet, north face outlet, birkin bag, herve leger, nike air max, ray ban, ghd, lululemon, giuseppe zanotti

ninest123 said...

doudoune canada goose, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, moncler, bottes ugg, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski, marc jacobs, links of london, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, montre pas cher, canada goose, louis vuitton, karen millen, sac louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, replica watches, moncler, moncler, canada goose, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, toms shoes, pandora charms, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, canada goose, louis vuitton, hollister, canada goose uk, supra shoes