Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I was one of the cool kids growing up...

...NOT!

I was so not one of the cool kids.  And i'll tell you why:

In third grade, my Mom nicknamed me Dolphina. And I loved it.

I was obsessed with dolphins.  
Friends, this was not a passing interest.  I was crazy, literally insane about anything and everything that concerned dolphins.

The start date for this obsession is a little fuzzy- I wouldn't be surprised if my first word was "dolphin".  I do know that it was love at first sight between me and my aquatic friends, but perhaps a bit one-sided.

 I made this love clear to everyone in my life.  Actually, you didn't even have to be a part of my life to know I had problems, all you had to do was look at me-

dolphin sweatshirts, earrings, necklaces, backpacks, t-shirts, iron-on patches, bedspreads, bathing suits, school supplies, toothbrushes, hair clips,

EVERYTHING!


My coolness didn't stop there.

--After my mother bestowed this name to me, I ran to school the next day and made an announcement in the front of my class declaring that my name was now Dolphina.

--I wrote reports on dolphins for fun- which included a table-of-contents and references.
Yes, for fun.

--I remember the first time I saw a documentary on the slaughtering of dolphins...I checked the video out of my public library thinking it was a fun movie on dolphins.
big mistake.
I think I cried for a week straight.

--I may be the only person alive that knows Jessica Alba stared in the modern version of the TV show Flipper.  I looked forward to this show all week.  
Since my first name is Jessica, and Jessica Alba starred in the show, I distinctly recall the thought going through my head that this coincidence must mean I am fated to work with dolphins.
luckiest Jessica EVER! via

(To clarify any name confusion: My first name is Jessica and my last name is Bailey.  I decided to go by Bailey in college, and will probably change my name officially when I get married)


-- Justin Berfield, the guy from Malcolm in the Middle, liked to joke in 4th grade that he and his dad would hunt dolphins and hang them on their living room wall.
I cried a lot thanks to these little jokes,
So not funny back then, but hilarious now.
via

--I had a shrine in my bedroom with all my favorite dolphin figurines and books.  It really was a shrine- incense and all. 
I am sad I never took a picture.

--Lisa Frank was my hero.  My parents couldn't even take me to the drug store without me freaking out. 
...not even joking.
Definitely had these, via

--The walls of my bedroom were covered in dolphin posters and pictures.
Floor-to-ceiling.

--I had at least 10 dolphin stuffed animals, all with their own names.  And they would go with me whenever we traveled.  
My poor parents.

--I hated football, but I loved my Miami Dolphins sweatshirt and hat that I got for Christmas one year.  
I showed this love by wearing them every.single.day.

--No one loved dolphins more than me.
NO ONE.  



So friends, I was definitely not one of the cool kids.
But I was perfectly happy in my own little world- a world where dolphins really were my best friends.

And, I will always love my nickname, Dolphina.
It was one of the greatest gifts my Mom ever gave me.

What was your favorite animal???

Pin It!

33 comments:

Lauren said...

Ahh Lisa Frank! I so remember that stuff!!! So funny lol. I always loved dogs and seem to recall a lot of dog adorned clothing. Such a cool look I'm sure :S Embrace that uniqueness, it's what makes you interesting :)

lo @ crazy ever after said...

Oh Dolphina, this was great. I had a bit of an obsession with dogs (like the other Lauren above me). I used to tell my mom I wanted to be a veterinarian, but not the kind that doesn't eat meat. I used to think veterinarian and vegetarian were the same thing. Uhhh. So I was a special kid too.

Jussie De Guida said...

I love this!! I too was obsessed with animals, mine was a seal. Oh and Lisa Frank too!

kimberly rae said...

Ok, who WASNT insanely obsessed with dolphins as a preteen/teen/20sometjing? Growing up in florida I could see them in the wild and that only fueled my obsession! Did usee ” the.cove”? If not, u must!!

Carrie said...

Haha you were like the horse girl, you know, every school has one girl who is obsessed with horses? Or at least it was that way in my school. And my good friend was the horse girl. :)
<3 Carrie

Mrs. Pancakes said...

i used to love horses! i remember the Jessica alba show!

Kylee said...

K I LOVED Lisa Frank. Had EVERYTHING: folders, pencils, stickers, diaries...you name it I had it. Good times :)

Lay said...

This is funny because my cousin was the exact same way. You walked into her bedroom and it was like a dolphin museum but worse. This totally reminds me of her! I think everyone was obsessed about something growing up... mine, well... I can't even bring myself to say it so maybe another time... ha! It's truly embarrassing!

Britt @ A Southern Bee DIary said...

Cute post ! I love dolphins too! I always wanted to swim with dolphins as a kid. And...I am still waiting... I was hoping to on the honeymoon, but that didn't happen. :( Maybe next vacay..I can only hope!

Selene said...

thank you dear!! i'm in love too and after ten tears now i'm waiting the proposal!! am I right?? ;)
selene

Laura and Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura and Sarah said...

OH my god this post had me crying with laughter! Just came over from the posts you put on our blog (thank you, by the way, and glad you like them!) and I second every comment on here - Lisa Frank was the decorations of our childhood! I wasn't so into the animals on her stickers, more the colours (there is not enough tie-dye in today's society!), though I sympathise with your dolphin obsession - because my Mum is Australian, I thought it made me supercool to have kangaroo EVERYTHING - earrings, necklaces, pen cases, sweaters, etc!

I'm showing this to Sarah - and we are becoming members of your blog NOW!

Love, Laura & Sarah xoxo
(Aaah I spelled my own name wrong in the previous comment! Epicfail)
sprezzaturaourway.blogspot.com

Hilliary@ Happily Ever Healthy said...

OMG I loved Lisa Frank, all my school supplies were Lisa Frank growing up! I loved teddy bears when I was younger, my wall paper even had teddy bears on it (and it stayed up till middle school)!

Megan said...

hey...i recognize that girl...hahahaha omg i remember this phase of yours alllll too well.

and thank you for reminding me about a. lisa frank and b. Justin.

Jen Has A Pen said...

I'm a little like you. Bubbalicious used to do this thing where if you sent in upc's and $5 (or something like that) they would let you adopt a whale. I adopted five.

In my next life, I want to be a dolphin (or a dachshund). They are so playful and are awesome parents. I also did book reports about them. No, I'm not kidding. My favorite report was after I read about two parents who refused to accept their baby died, so they swam around pushing him with their noses. So sad.

Bailey Schneider said...

Hahahaha! It's good to be passionate about things! LOL!
Much love, Bailey from Vanilla Blonde

Bethany said...

I still I have an abnormal obsession with giraffes. I have photos of me with "giraffe ears" and my husband and I are looking at land to build on... I am going to be sure there is enough acreage so we can adopt one. ADORE them.

meme-and-he said...

oh my gosh. this is too funny!! dolphins were also my favorite animal...but I am not sure I was quite as into them as you!! I still love seeing them, though :)

Bree said...

Haha this is hilarious. I don't think I ever had an obsession like this when I was a kid? At least nothing I can remember. Oh wait! I think the closest thing I can think of is Tweety bird. Loved him!! So many stuffed animals, mugs, shirts..Ok, so I guess I did have an obsession after all lol

Brooklyn said...

Hahaha Love the post, Dolphina! I never really had a favorite animal growing up and besides my Pom, I don't really have one now either. What is wrong with me? HA! :)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

My best friend was obsessed with dolphins too!! WE painted a big water scene on her bedroom wall, it was so much fun!

Krista Lynn said...

Oh my goodness! Your love for dolphins is like my love for Gorillas! There is just something about them that I find so amazing and cute. This post is so ironic because I've been thinking about 'adopting' a mountain gorilla lately. I think I might do it!

http://crescendoblog.blogspot.com

Whitney said...

Hilarious. I LOVE your blog!
I think we all went through some sort of crazy love affair with something growing up..
Mine was Pooh bear. Everything Pooh. Up into my teenage years even. Awesome.
And Lisa Frank is still dear to my heart. =)

Daisy said...

This was hilarious! My favorite animal growing up was lion. I was that way when I was kid with Science! Which is more lame. I remember I brought in a dead bird once to dissect... in 5th grade!!!! lol

marie said...

I think this is really so sweet and I can totally relate. I think it is better to just be a kid and do what you like than try and fit in and do what everyone else thinks is cool.

Those who don't live for themselves always regret it. I should know.

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh. This is too much. Thanks for the gigge.

lilmoomoo said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha.
omg.
I loved this so much.
So glad to "meet" you Dolphina.
I think I will have to follow after this awesome post..

(I was also MAJOR obsessed with Lisa Frank. Specifically the stickers!)

lovelovelove,
moo.

(your newest follower!!)

Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl said...

I loved Lisa Frank! I'm almost positive I had those dolphin stickers! I almost bought Lisa Frank Valentine's today just for the fun of it but decided against it...

Val Fox said...

I had the same Lisa Frank stationary and stickers and I watched every single episode of Flipper with Jessica Alba (Maya!!!) too! I love dolphins but I think horses were my fave!

ninest123 said...

hollister, moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, links of london, louis vuitton, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, doudoune canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, karen millen, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg pas cher, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg boots uk, thomas sabo, wedding dresses, canada goose uk, bottes ugg, coach outlet, replica watches, pandora charms, supra shoes, louis vuitton

ninest123 said...

michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, nike free run uk, michael kors, hollister pas cher, lacoste pas cher, ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, nike blazer, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet, north face, coach outlet, abercrombie and fitch, north face, hogan, burberry outlet online, nike roshe, air force, michael kors, lululemon, ugg boots, vanessa bruno, michael kors, new balance pas cher, michael kors, coach purses, michael kors outlet, sac guess, coach outlet, ray ban uk, hollister, replica handbags, tn pas cher, hermes, nike air max, oakley pas cher, mulberry, true religion jeans, timberland, ugg boots, nike air max, burberry, true religion jeans, nike air max, true religion jeans, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet

ninest123 said...

new balance, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, reebok shoes, babyliss, vans, asics running shoes, nike roshe, hollister, nike trainers, lancel, timberland boots, hollister, wedding dresses, nfl jerseys, gucci, p90x workout, valentino shoes, louboutin, instyler, jimmy choo shoes, nike air max, abercrombie and fitch, converse outlet, beats by dre, soccer shoes, vans shoes, baseball bats, oakley, mont blanc, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, nike huarache, longchamp, hollister, iphone cases, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, insanity workout, north face outlet, north face outlet, birkin bag, herve leger, nike air max, ray ban, ghd, lululemon, giuseppe zanotti

ninest123 said...

doudoune canada goose, louis vuitton, swarovski crystal, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, moncler, bottes ugg, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski, marc jacobs, links of london, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, montre pas cher, canada goose, louis vuitton, karen millen, sac louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, replica watches, moncler, moncler, canada goose, moncler, ugg boots uk, ugg pas cher, toms shoes, pandora charms, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, moncler, coach outlet, canada goose, canada goose, louis vuitton, hollister, canada goose uk, supra shoes