Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Soup


I've been wanting to make pumpkin soup since I made homemade pumpkin puree last week.

After searching the internet for the perfect pumpkin soup recipe I found myself feeling very indecisive.

Did I want a Thai, Indian or Italian inspired soup?

I honestly could not decide which way to go.

So, instead, I made up my own version of pumpkin soup.

And, I promise, it was AH-MAZ-ING!

(Even my soon to be Mother-in-law raved about its deliciousness, and this doesn't happen all the time)



What you need:

2 tbsp olive oil
2 potatoes, chopped into cubes
2 yellow onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 cans chicken broth
Approx 1/2 cup dry white wine
At least 3 cups pumpkin puree (approx. 2 cans)
One package sausage- I went with chipotle chicken sausage (four in one package), chopped into cubes
Approx. 3 cups water
2 cups mushroom
1 cup cream, half-and-half, or milk
2 tsp chipotle seasoning
1-2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Dried red chili (optional)
salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper



First, combine the oil, potatoes, onion, garlic, celery, and dried chili in a large soup pot. Cook vegetables for approximately 5 minutes, or until onions start to brown. Mix frequently.

Add one can of chicken broth and one cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes and vegetables become tender.

Add white wine, and continue to boil for an additional 5 minutes.

Transfer soft vegetables and broth to a blender and blend on high until smooth. After contents are completely blended, return to soup pot.

Add the pumpkin puree, additional can of chicken broth and two cups of water to the pot. Return to a boil.

Reduce heat and add all remaining ingredients except for the cream or milk- this will be added at the very end.

Mix well and taste the soup. Add additional seasoning if necessary.

Add cream or milk, simmer for 5 minutes and serve.

I garnished my pumpkin soup with Italian cheese and a few croutons.


What are your favorite soup recipes?
Pin It!

No comments: