Saturday, October 22, 2011

Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread

I love quick bread.

My favorite are those that taste like cake- pumpkin, banana, cinnamon- packed full of chocolate chips.  But, making these all the time is dangerous-I often lack self control after 9pm.

So, today I decided to make Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread from my favorite food blog, found here.
Over the past year or so I have made dozens of recipes found on his blog and have not once been disappointed.

This bread may lack the sugar overdose that I sometimes love, but it is delicious, and a much healthier alternative.  Now, when I eat half a loaf in one sitting I feel a little less guilty.

Sometimes, I'll smear on some butter or peanut butter after a long run.


What you need:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup oil (I used even less)
1 egg
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large apple (peeled, cored and cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 cup pecans (I used walnuts so I could avoid the market)
1 handfull rolled oats




Directions:
1.  Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, apple sauce, oil, egg and rolled oats together in a large mixing bowl.  Set aside for approximately 10 minutes.
2.  Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl: both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3.  Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Mix well.
4.  Add the apple pieces and walnuts.  Fold entire mixture together.
5. Transfer the entire mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Sprinkle the rolled oats on top.
6.  Bake in a preheated 375F oven until cooked through completely, approximately 45-60 minutes.  Oven times will vary.






Pin It!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Yum! The maple syrup sounds like it would be a delicious addition! I'll have to try it!