Friday, September 23, 2011

Vegetarian Egg Casserole with Goat Cheese

It was my night to cook.

To save some money, I wanted to make something that wouldn't require a long list of ingredients from the market. I wanted to use what we already had.

Since we had tons of veggies and eggs, I decided to make a vegetarian egg casserole with goat cheese. The final product was amazing.

I've made several egg casserole's before and this was my favorite. It was light and fluffy and had wonderful flavor.


What you need:

2 tbsp olive oil
2-4 cloves garlic chopped (depends how much garlic you like)
1 large yellow onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2-4 chilis chopped (If you like spicier, use jalapeno or Serrano peppers. More mild choose Anaheim)
2 small eggplants chopped into cubes (or one larger eggplant)
3 zucchini chopped into cubes
1 bag of mushrooms sliced (approx. 2 cups)
1/2 cup milk or creamer (I used soy creamer)
1 package of frozen chopped spinach thawed
3 large tomato or 6 small tomatoes chopped (seeds removed)
Approx. 10 eggs
1 tbsp. mixed Italian seasoning
2 tsp. Chipotle chili powder
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp. cumin
Fresh ground pepper


I didn't really follow a set recipe. I made it up as I went along.


Chop garlic, onion and chili's (if desired). Add to a large, hot skillet with the 2 tbsp. olive oil. Saute for approximately 5 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften.


Meanwhile, chop the red and green bell peppers and the eggplant.




Add to the sauteing onion, garlic and chili. Mix.
At this point, I added 1 tbsp. of butter- this is optional.

Chop the zucchini. I added the zucchini and mushroom last since they are generally the fastest cooking vegetables.

Note: Do not overcook the vegetables. You want all of them to be approximately half cooked.

Once all the vegetables are mixed and cooking, add the salt, cumin, italian seasoning and chipotle. Mix evenly.

After the vegetables are cooked, transfer to a large bowl. Let the vegetables cool.

As the vegetables cool, drain all the water from the thawed frozen spinach. It is important to remove as much water as possible, otherwise the casserole will turn out soggy. Add spinach to the cooling vegetables.

Finally, add the chopped tomato.

Remove eggs and cheese from the refrigerator. Beat the eggs together in a separate bowl.

Once the vegetables are cooled, add eggs and milk and mix evenly.

Spray a large pyrex baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add half the egg and vegetable mixture. Crumble half the goat cheese evenly over the egg. Add the remaining egg mixture, and crumble the rest of the goat cheese over the top.


Last, top the final mixture with a thin layer of parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper.

Place in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees.

Cooking time will vary. I let it cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. I then lowered the temperature to 350 degrees and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove and check that egg is cooked through completely.


Usually, I add sour cream and hot sauce, but this was so good it didn't need any condiments- and trust me, I LOVE my condiments.

For left overs you can whip op some beans and roll it all in a tortilla for a breakfast burrito.
This dish is great for brunches or family gatherings.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

0, fluoxetine, strattera recreational use, buy celexa mg, 500mg cipro, celebrex contraindications,

Anonymous said...

Waу соol! Some verу vаlid ρоintѕ!
I appreciate you pennіng this ωгіte-up рlus the rest of the sіte is
alsо very goοd.

Stop bу my blοg post ... juicing advices

Anonymous said...

Hello i am kavin, itѕ mу first time tο cοmmеnting anуρlaсe, when i reaԁ this pіeсе of wгiting i thοught і could аlso make cοmment due to this sensіble post.


Feel frеe tо surf to my weblog :: http://www.vegetablejuicingrecipesforweightloss.com/